Pimples after hair transplant procedure are one of the most commonly occurring side effects. Pimple referred to the raised spot that is inflamed and may be present with pus or not. Medical terminology used for scalp pimple is folliculitis i.e. inflammation at the surrounding site of follicles. It is considered a normal sign of hair growth under the skin of the scalp. Hair restoration surgery is the procedure in which hair grafts from the donor area are used to implant at the site of baldness which is mainly the scalp of the person suffering from baldness. It is the mostly preferred surgical procedure performed for hair loss because of its astonishing results. During this procedure, the body’s immunity responds to certain reactions as a result of which pimples, redness and blisters develop.
MECHANISM OF PIMPLES FORMATION AFTER HAIR TRANSPLANT PROCEDURE
At the site where grafts are implanted, regeneration of the epithelial layer of the scalp occurs to activate the implanted follicles as a result of immune response of the body to the implanted follicles. Pimples are formed if there is excessive regeneration of cells to which newly implanted follicles are attached. They are limited to this area but in some cases they can spread to other sites.
Pimples after hair transplant procedure is a common finding. Folliculitis/ pimples are not associated only with post transplant condition, but is a common condition in individuals not undergone this procedure. Its common causes are
· As an immune reaction to the newly implanted follicles
· They occur when the implanted hairs are growing at the subcutaneous layer
· If the proper hygienic protocols are not followed during surgical procedure
· Weather conditions mainly heat and humidity are more likely to stimulate its formation
· During surgical procedure if any mistake is made by surgeon that leads to increase production of sebaceous secretions then it can lead to excess pimple production
· Most commonly occurring pimples after hair transplant procedure are Red Pimples. They are related to inflammatory or infectious conditions. To remove it, patients are asked to apply hot compress at the site of lesion at intervals throughout the day.
· Whitehead Pimples having white crest and enriched with fatty secretions, appear within three months of postoperative duration. It is removed by a sterilized pin used to remove pus inside the pimple.
· One of the least occurring types of it is Blackhead Pimple, seen at sites where head pores are closed temporarily and hairs are trying to grow to that area.
TREATMENT OPTIONS and PRECAUTIONS
Formation of pimples after hair transplant procedure is not a serious matter of concern. It is normally a temporarily occurring side effect of hair restoration encountered by most of the individuals undergoing this procedure. If pain, redness, swelling co exist with it then it is advised to seek medical attention. Its treatment depends upon the postoperative care for the initial three months.
The basic guidelines to follow in order to prevent it includes
· Taking medications either topical medicines, ointments or oral antibiotics
· Applying shampoo as directed by dermatologist
· Maintaining hygienic steps to clean hair by washing them so that dust and dirt are removed by softly rubbing the hair.
· Avoid all kinds of greasy and oily items after in order to prevent its growth.
· Do not wash your hair with warm water as it further reinforce pimple formation
· Avoid using a hair scarf or well fitted caps and sun exposure after the procedure. Hair dyes and application of other chemicals to hair is prohibited after transplant.
· Most people are concerned with the duration of pimples that stay on the scalp. They are seen within a week and stay for six months that is the normal duration.
· Not seen in every patient undergoing transplant
· As it is a normal response, so it does not affect the results of transplant and is a common side effect.
How to treat donor area and recipient area pimples after hair transplant?
These start appearing a few weeks after the procedure. No needs to worry as these are temporary and can be managed easily through moist compress, alcohol swab pressure or antibiotic lotion.
Where to get free help or advice for pimples after hair transplant in Lahore Pakistan?